A Monster Guide by Huscarl

Discussions and updates on the game HUNT: Showdown.
Huscarl
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, I compiled and made a list of strategies about the monsters/animals/creatures in Hunt I have encountered. Hope it helps anyone that needs it. - Huscarl

Lame Horses: You will come across Horses laying in courtyards or in barns sometimes in the middle of the roads, be cautious if a horse is not severed in two then there is a good chance it will just be lame, The will begin to neigh and whinny giving your position away, its best to put them out of their misery with a clean blow to the head or a bolt/throwing knife at a distance. EDIT: (Be aware that Lame Horses can be heard making sound So keep your ears open as well as their slight movements).

Caged dogs: Dogs found in caged kennels will bark, growl and howl making an all-round nuisance of themselves, shut them up before they start by sneaking up and tossing a throwing knife at the lantern conveniently burning above them in the cages.

Crows and ducks: Harmless so to speak... They will fly away and make noise if you get near there trigger radius... they simply give your location away to other hunters, Keep an ear open for their squawking/quacking and an eye open for the crows roosting on beams and in fields, Ducks will be in the water amongst reeds and the like.

-Infected-

Grunt /Zombie: “The creature has the appearance of a perfectly normal, if decomposed, human being. Yet inside, i suspect, there is some kind of darkness, a hint of something, dare I say, satanic.” - Monstrorvm

The Enemies that are the most common, don’t be fooled by their appearance, they can overwhelm you if you are not prepared and tend to pop up in places you would least expect them.

Strategy:
The Grunts/Zombies are usually distracted with something or standing around aimlessly if they Spot you they come at a medium pace and usually bring a few of their friends.
You will be killing a fair amount of these guys/girls, Zombies/Grunts go down fairly easily, shoot them in the face or slam them with a CHARGED melee attack to the head.

-Marked-

Armored: “The Armored, named for their inhuman chitin, flesh dried, hardened. A hollowed husk of hope, a knight errant arrived dead on his horse” - Monstrorvm

Strategy:
The armoured will wonder around aimlessly, typically in a predefined area. If you get to close to them they will trigger and start to chase you.

If you must engage they are fairly easy to take down using melee weapons.
As you can tell by the look and name of this thing, they will take gun fire like a champion, save your precious ammo for more important things and beat them up face to face. Make sure to hit them with CHARGED melee attacks to keep them stunned, if they get you with a melee attack they will hurt you, a lot… Typically 3 charged Knife strikes or 1 charged Axe strike will put them down.

Hive : “I opened my eyes and mama had kind of...folded in half and...opened...and well really it weren't my Mama standing there no more but this thing, this nest thing like the wasps build out the shed between her rib cage, her rib cage!” - Monstrorvm

This enemy can sometimes attack you before you even realise it’s around, they vomit a swarm of poisonous bees in your direction, the Bees will pursue you for a while (if you’re low on stamina they will catch up!)

Strategy:
Try to shoot at its head hanging down the side of its body, one good shot will kill it, I don’t think Melee attacks are a good idea because the Swarm of bees will damage you and apply poison. Poison damage will stop you from regenerating health and it also disables your ability to bandage yourself.
Keep your ears open, they make these shrieking sounds and its one of the only ways to know if one is hiding nearby.

Immolator: “The Immolator seems to be the most tormented of them all. The smallest movement sends him into a rage, attacking chaotically, and when shot he burns even hotter and charges like an angry bull.” - Monstrorvm

Immolators roam around looking hot (heh..) They kind of Ignite themselves on fire when you get to close and start chasing after you, they are very hot tempered (heh..)

Strategy:
These guys will chase after you if made aggressive, they will try to attack you with melee range, if your struck by their attacks you take Burn damage, if you can out last them they eventually kill themselves by burning out,

Do NOT shoot at this thing or hit it with sharp objects, it will ignite and set everything on fire in a medium to small radius around itself. (This includes bayonets)
If you have to engage an immolator, do hit it with your fists or the Butt of your Firearm it will not ignite and can be taken out with two or three solid hits.

Meathead: “Frankly, I’m not sure why they referred to this thing as a Meathead at all. The creature has no head. It could best be described as a bloated, headless, humanoid monster. More easily cut than shot; a hard hitter, but too well insulated to take much damage from a fist or a blunt object. It appears to have a symbiotic relationship with Leeches” - Monstrorvm

Slow and Hulking Thick boy, This thing is blind but sensitive to what its Leeches see/hear/feel… can sense you around when your near the Leeches, they come with 3 to 4 Leech playmates, If you think your clever it will put you down faster than a hot cup of coffee, they move substantially quick when irritated.

Strategy:
The Thick boys hate sharp things slashing at them, so IF you MUST engage them then use sharp objects (specifically SLASHING) stabbing/piercing is not as good either , Blunt weapons bounce right off of them, Fire takes approximately two Lanterns direct.

Hellhound : “the so-called "Hellhounds" were pack animals (most often seen traveling in groups of between two and four), aggressive, and fast. These hounds would work together to take down a target, and while they do not appear to have any kind of special defences, they did not have any particular vulnerabilities either”. Monstrorvm

Where there is One Doggo there will be more, they come in packs of two up to five. These Things are fast and will maul you into chump dog food faster than you can move.

Strategy:
You cannot outrun the Doggos so if you make the mistake of aggravating them its best to face them and try and take them out as they come for you. One Charged melee or Shot to the head will put them down. They pack a pretty strong bite and its high damage. You can hear them howling and sniffing and growling usually near fields and open spaces.

Water Devil : “The white worms poured out of his mouth, his ears, and the gaping sockets where they had eaten their way through his eyes. His corpse emptied of the foul creatures at last, his body collapsed into the water”- Monstrorvm

Strategy: they make rapid splashing noises, avoid them if you can, they are fast and will bleed you out. You can shoot them, I have not tried melee. They make a tonne of splashing noise as well so it will give you away to other hunters IF you survive...

Bounty/Boss monsters:

The Spider: “Black viscous liquid, a droplet the size of my fist, splattered onto my sleeve. Instinctively, I followed the tendril of viscous bile upward, toward the ceiling where her eye peered back. Hanging off a beam, ready to pounce, lurked the twisted and malformed mass” – Monstrorvm

The Spider Clicks and clacks, it chitters and scuttles, she darts across the roofs and walls. She will Spit Poison at you and when it hits and you’re foolish enough to stay around she will come in FAST for a few bites!

Poison Bile:
The Spider will try get a good angle at you and vomit a poison Bile towards you, this causes damage and poisons you, if you’re hit, LEAVE the area and heal up before going back in.

Lunge:
The Spider will shriek and then lunge at you, if you hit her while she Shrieks it will cancel the attack,

Quarter Health (Rage mode?):
When the Spider is almost defeated she will go into a Rage mode, she will start attacking you directly with her Claws and Fangs, these attacks cause poison and damage. Save your fire/Lanterns for the second part of the fight, I noticed that the damage she takes also decreases (she gets tougher)
Killing Her: The best way to fight her is with Lanterns/Fire bombs and Blunt weapons, Hit and run tactics..

The Assassin: “the assassin seemed to split into three and rush the next of us. One flew at me, and I hit it with single shot. It burst. My mouth was full of legs, thoraxes and mandibles, beetles crawling across my airways. By the time I'd cleared them, I saw another of my friends get jabbed in the stomach by the Assassin” - Monstrorvm

Insects creep along the floors in a mass, swelling and meandering along the way, in chitters and clambers and thrills as it goes along the surfaces, it will clinch the walls and fling knives at you or cover your face with roaches, it will rise from the shadows behind you and stab you in the spleen, bleeding damage is its thing…

Backstab:
The assassin rises from the ground and try’s to stab you a few times, This is the best time to attack it, its animation goes for a short time so if you can get Him to come out circle around and Bash him with a melee weapon

Knife Toss:
The Assassin leaps onto a wall and throws a projectile at the play it causes bleeding. He will not attack straight away giving you time to move and throw a Poison, lantern or firebomb at him.

Copy/Clones (?)
Inside the Monstrorvm it talks about the Assassin making clones of itself, I have not seen this, or if it’s happened I have not noticed.

Roaches:
The Assassin gets his little buddies to cover you obscuring your vision and making it hard to see, you also take some damage when it starts.

You will be covered in roaches more often and the Assassin becomes more aggressive attacking you more directly while your vision is blurred.

Killing Him: His powers, can be interrupted, hitting him with charged melee attacks with a sledgehammer or axe will wear him down, I hear poison is really good against Him but I have not tried this First hand.

The Butcher: “The huge bloated body - clearly a relative of the Meathead - with bits of wood and metal protruding from the skin. A leather apron covers the horrors of its torso, the head of a pig, and - and somehow this is the detail that I find most difficult to believe” – Monstrorvm

The Butcher is a Meathead with an actual Head, He behaves similar to the meatheads without the Leeches. He likes to play with Fire, and likes to Cook you alive before eating you. Heavy breathing and lumbering stomps sound out when he is near, and his very direct, not sneaky at all...

Fire breath/Fire throw:
The Butcher has a projectile attack that can light you up on fire.

Cleaver/Meat Hook:
His basic attack is swinging his pointy sharp weapon at you. It will do fire damage and a lot of it.

This is when the Butcher gets scary, He starts running… yep.. He runs just as fast as Players do, He leaves a trail of fire behind him… it’s time to make him bleed

Killing Him: Just like a meat head He is weak to Slashing damage, Make him bleed and use a FRAG BOMB!! They demolish the Butcher!

So if you look at it, they work like paper scissors rock. Spider = poison / Assassin = Bleed / Butcher = Fire. Spider weak to fire / Assassin weak to poison / butcher weak to bleed..

Happy Hunting and good luck!
Last edited by Huscarl on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
xXx32r
Level 2
Level 2

Awesome post by the way!! Might sticky this.

Do the horses also contribute to ambient sounds or are they always triggered by user interaction?

Need to confirm this.
Huscarl
Level 1
Level 1

xXx32r wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm
Awesome post by the way!! Might sticky this.

Do the horses also contribute to ambient sounds or are they always triggered by user interaction?

Need to confirm this.

We will need to play and see if they do I have not experienced this myself, they do move though! I’ll edit the post when I discover anything new.

Feel free to add and edit man.
Bushido
Level 1
Level 1

Great post !!

Can confirm, horses will normally provide minimal ambient noise.

It is clear when hunters are in the vicinity due to the continuous nature of the sound the horse will make when spooked .. !

Thanks Huscarl !
Sir_Jacko
Level 1
Level 1

Just to add to the Meathead

They can detect poison nearby, so if you're poisoned, they will know where you are and charge you.
This is why the leaches spew poison, the meathead will react to the poison cloud if they miss or to you if they hit you.
Also kinda sucks if you get stung by the Hive's wasps while a meathead is nearby